Friday, April 23, 2010

Walking lead into your home

My wife and I used to leave on an apartment and for years we knew carpets can be unhealthy, but kept walking into the house with our shiny shoes and despite frequent vacuuming that carpet never looked great.



Last year, we moved to a new bigger apartment and most of it, is covered by carpet. Except this time we told our self, lets change our policy and lets interact with our carpet in a much more friendly manner.



It really paid off, the carpet not only look pristine, but also feels healthy. We are not allergic or anything, but we don't need to be, in order to take preventive measures.



OK, up to this point, we were religiously keeping our part of the deal, but what do you do when you have visitors? It is rude to ask them to remove their shoes?



I didn't know, but keeping my household healthy was at stake here, so we tested it and ask all our friends to remove their shoes at the entrance and to my surprise, I had never received any opposition to it, nor detected the person feeling uncomfortable.


Whenever they asked, I'm eager to explain them my views about it and it goes smoothly.



The other challenge is when maintenance people came to repair something, but we gave them disposable shoes and voila!



The truth is, my wife and I like clean, but what we don't like is an unhealthy environment and we know that when you are in the street, your lovely shoes pick up all kind of particles and one of them is lead.



There is a book that I read called: " Living Healthy In A Toxic World" written by David Steinman and R. Michael Wisner and on its glossary defines lead as follows:



Lead: Heavy metal used in batteries, pipes, solder, paints, and gasoline manufacture. Primary human exposures: drinking water leached from plumbing, air vehicle exaust, smog, and dust from lead-based paints. Accumulates in body, and damages brain and nervous system. Causes lowered IQ, stomach disorders, fatigue, and behavioral problems.



Wow!, that bad,eh?



As usual to fulfil my curiosity I did research and learned that you also walk it into your house through your shoes and that's how all started.



The health and IQ has to be one of the biggest assets on any body's life, without health, you are very limited and without IQ, you are just a fat head!



Maybe the Japaneses, already knew? They had been taking their shoes off since long ago, pretty smart!


If you want to learn more about lead and its effect on health, I recommend to go to www.epa.gov/lead , you can even download materiel in PDF.


I hope this helps and look forward hearing your comments.


Sebastian Alongi

VP CleanServ Universal Services, Inc.